Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

this and that on a tuesday

It has been a cold and gray week here in central Kentucky. We've had a bit of snow, a bit of ice, and a whole lot of rain. It has made for a pretty gloomy week. As I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) it is always difficult when the sun doesn't appear. I do have a light to use and I will get it out if necessary, but as the sun is supposed to put in an appearance this afternoon I am hoping to just get out and relish the light.

This is the view through my back window this morning. A little snow and a whole lot of gray.



Found this wonderful new recipe this week. Do you like quinoa. I love it and I really love brussel sprouts

source

Quinoa with Roasted Brussels Sprouts (adapted from “The Farmer’s Kitchen” by Brett Grohsgal and Julia Shanks)

½ cup quinoa
½ pound Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil (my olive oil was infused with lemon)
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin or chopped
½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup toasted, slivered almonds (optional)

Rinse quinoa under cold water. Put in a small saucepot and cover with water. Add 1teaspoon salt. Cover the pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the quinoa has popped and is cooked through.

Meanwhile, cut Brussels sprouts in half.  If sprouts are larger, slice thin.

Heat a large skillet over high heat.  Add the olive oil and let heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until aromatic. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring regularly until they are bright green and soft (I covered the pan and turned down the heat, stirring occasionally and allowing the sprouts to get crispy-brown). Remove from heat.


When quinoa is cooked, drain excess water.  Toss with Brussels sprouts.  Add juice from ½ lemon and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Stir in almonds, if using.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty easy peasy and delicious so I am going to go out today and get the ingredients.

Been reading a lot and watching Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel. 


I am reading this right now. Love Wally Lamb books. This is his newest and is definitely proving to be a good read. I love it when I am waiting for a book at the library and my number finally comes up. I feel like it is a gift and that our free lending libraries were one of the greatest things ever invented.


I have all of the Christmas decorating done. Hooray!!! But the light has been so bad I have had a terrible time trying to get pictures. 

I do have a few I can share today. Not too happy with the quality of the pictures, but I just can't seem to control the weather.

One of the Santas on my mantle.


and the other


This is the small woodland tree sitting on the deacons bench with Mr. Moose. It is really dark in here so I had to turn on the light. Otherwise it looked like a dark blob.


I used a vintage burlap bag for the tree skirt and added a bundle of old books tied up with twine.


Because this area is made up of rustic elements, I added this wreath to the bookcase next to the tree.


The sun is out. Unbelievable. So I think I will try to take some pictures while I have the chance. I'll share more of my Christmas decor over the next week.

Linking with:
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life


  Pin It

15 comments:

  1. we have sun here, today, too! yay! sure perks up the mood and makes the cold temps seem less so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas decorations are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun came out here today after 10 days of gloom and rain. I don't know how people in alaska do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love your santas and I love Brussel Sprouts too so I would love your recipe. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, Laura. We haven't seen the sun for days in Boston. I started Wally Lamb's book and had trouble getting into it. I'll probably try again when the holiday season is over. Hope the sun comes out in Kentucky tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your rustic Santas and decorations. So pretty for the holidays. I used either vintage or prims for everything this year. I've never eaten quinoa...I would like to try it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Santa's on the mantel, especially the sitting one which has so much character. The moose is a fun addition to your country tree. It's been grey here too and cold. I hope to get out tomorrow morning and take some nature pictures - even it it's grey. The recipe sounds delicious. I have quinoa but don't use it often. Take care. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Santas on the mantel are gorgeous! The moose is so fun and the book looks interesting! I love C'mas, everybody's homes look beautiful, full of color and cheer. The quinoa récipe looks great, I eat it a lot, I love it too! Thanks for the récipe and thank you for the sweet and kind visit.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt so much better today since the sun came out! I love getting books from the library and will add the new Wally Lamb to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your photos! We had sunshine today too.. As much as I love the beauty of this time of year...the sun feels good...thank you sun! We hope to transplant ourselves out of state so busy, as in packing is our focus. I wish for you more sunshiney days...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your pictures turned out fine, Laura! I'm used to turning on all the lights with this crazy Midwestern weather. I don't have the seasonal disorder but I know many who do. Granted, after a few days of gloom and if I'm stuck at home, I get pretty witchy. On the other hand, there's nothing like the excuse of a cold gloomy winter day to stay in and relax, read, bake or just take a bubble bath and nap for an hour or two. It's like the gloom is your permissions slip. Try getting away with that on a sunny June day! lol!

    The recipe sounds good, I'm always looking for new ways to have Brussels sprouts. I usually roast them. And I love your Christmas touches, your Santa's are really beautiful! I'm looking forward to finally decorating tomorrow and Thursday. I'll keep my fingers crossed for sun for you! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your decorations are so pretty...love those Santas.

    We have had some snow and ice and gloomy days and I was thinking to myself that I was already sick of snow and then yesterday afternoon the SUN came out and there were pretty blue skies and all of a sudden everything looked like a Christmas card. What a difference the sun can make in our mood and outlook in general! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Brussels spouts and quinoa - I'm pinning this.

    I just posted a book review - go check it out. I think you may enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's a dark and gloomy day here....rain and ice falling. So I have christmas music on and candles burning and doing a little more decorating. I keep changing things around as I am not happy with the way things look. :) That recipe looks delish! I have really been into roasting all kinds of veggies lately. Tasty! Hope you are having a great weekend and the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet messages. I read every one of them.