F I'm So Vintage: finding your bliss
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

finding your bliss

When I was working as a counselor, I noticed that no matter what problems people were having, in the end what they wanted was to find their bliss.



What exactly is bliss and how do we find and then ultimately follow it? 

To me, bliss has always simply meant finding what makes you happy. Finding your purpose. Finding a state of satisfaction.

No matter what problems brought someone into counseling, whether it was choosing a career or moving past abuse, what they wanted was to find their own personal bliss. 

I believe we all want that in our lives, but the path we each take to find our personal bliss is uniquely different. 




Some of us may find our bliss at an early age, while others of us take a long and winding road. But no matter how we find it, bliss seems to be the ultimate goal. 

Before we can find our bliss we need to know what it is that makes us happy, and sometimes that can mean sitting down and making a list. You may say, well I know what makes me happy. It is my family, or my job, or my church.... However, what happens when your children are grown and leave home, or you lose your job. These are all things that bring happiness into your life, but they are external and they may be temporary.

I believe that to find your bliss you have to be willing to open yourself up to all possibilities, to step out of your comfort zone, and to simply allow your heart to sing. 



As a counselor I loved watching people find their bliss and then follow it. Because, after all there is nothing greater than seeing someone truly happy, to see the light turn on in their eyes, to watch them move into a place they never thought they would be. 

I am always working on finding and following my own bliss. Each day I try to allow myself to open up to new possibilities, because I know that by allowing doors to open I am moving towards a wonderful state of happiness. 

I hope that you, too, will allow yourself to be curious and open, because you never know where or how you may find your bliss. 



 

27 comments:

  1. Bliss to me is having peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace of mind is definitely important, Beth.

      Delete
  2. Nice post Laura - I'm looking out at a sunny morning after a night of storms and feeling pretty blissful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing what some sunshine can do for our spirits. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with the first comment. Peace of mind is so valuable. You can't put a dollar sign on it. You can't buy it. It is a state of being.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you can't buy peace of mind and you can't expect to get it from an outside source. It comes from within.

      Delete
  4. This is good advice...thank you. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Catherine. Thanks so much for the visit.

      Delete
  5. When my children are well and nothing drastic is going on, Ted and I feel well...then I think that's my bliss. When I think bliss, I think peace.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this lovely post my friend, it made me think about it! I love bliss and my home is the only place where I feel it and when my dear hubby and the rest of the family is well around us, that's also Bliss time!
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sense of contentment in your home and with your family sounds like bliss to me, Fabby :)

      Delete
  7. Sometimes it is a long road, but it is out here for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is always changing....I could never have imagined myself living here and doing the things I do just a few years ago. I still marvel and say a prayer of thankfulness. And it does seem to go in cycles...but that's hard to understand when we are going through troubled times. Have a good week my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my sweet friend are such a good example for the rest of us. Yes, life is always changing, but there can be bliss for all of us.

      Delete
  9. I would say I'm in a good place right now. Hopefully, it will continue. But I know we don't have control over our future either. That's one area I need to work on is accepting of change. I'm not very good with change. I'm sure that what I like today may not be what I like in the future too. I have to be more flexible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you are in a good place, Kelly. Yes, flexibility is important in life, because as Diane said life is ever changing.

      Delete
  10. I didn't know you were a counselor. I love me a counselor! I guess you've shaken your head many times at me:) I've had about about 10 in a lifetime, for different reasons. They would all agree with you. I call it my "happy place." The pastor said this week that you did to do what you know you can't not do. Double negative yes, but true:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never shake my head at you and I hope you will always feel that this is a safe place to share. We have such a loving and caring group of friends here. thanks for sharing what your pastor said :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Laura....For me, finding my bliss was a rather long road. But I now know what makes me happy and strive to find small things on a daily basis that add to a life well lived. I think giving to others is among the bliss-finders and strive to do that, too. Thanks for your insightful post. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I am so happy that you have found your bliss, and yes, service to others is a wonderful thing. :)

      Delete
  12. What a great post, Laura, and I have been determined this year to find my bliss, for me it is peace. I am planning on getting more involved in my blog which beings me such satisfaction and joy. I love talking with people from all over and have made many dear friends. Throwing myself into our new home and my fur babies is my other and of course my hubby.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet messages. I read every one of them.