F I'm So Vintage: message on a gravy boat

Missed A Recent Post?

Saturday, May 10, 2014

message on a gravy boat


Last night as I was busily working on my etsy shop my phone rang. It was my mom. She tearily told me that her friend Doris was not expected to make it through the night. 

I had just been over to eat dinner with my mother the night before, and although Doris sat at my mom's table for meals it was the first time I had met her. She held my hand and said how happy she was to meet me. You could feel the sweetness emanating from her. 

Holding our parents hands as they lose their friends one by one is a part of our caregiving of them. My mother is almost 90 and has already lost many friends along with her husband, my dad. Even though she knows that this is inevitable it doesn't seem to get any easier. 

After I got off the phone, I turned over the gravy boat that I was listing and saw this quote.




I think this was put in my hand at just the right time, because I too was feeling teary. We are put on this earth for just a brief moment in time. After we leave the earth will go on without us. While we are here we must enjoy our time no matter how brief or long it may be. 

So today I want to say "Godspeed, Doris".






 

19 comments:

  1. Vey touching and appropriate Laura. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet and painful, too. bless your mother as she grieves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, so sad but also so sweet. It's hard I know and as my Mother ages I too have been there to hold her hand.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard, Linda. So glad your mom will now be living closer to you so you will be there to hold her hand. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brilliant, and loved!
    Did we every anticipate that one day, we would be a mother to our mother in some moments of our life.
    You are a great one, my friend.
    Happy Mother's Day.
    withLove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess everything goes full circle. Thanks so much for your sweet words and Happy Mother's Day.

      Delete
  6. It has to be hard to loose their friends . My mom has been through this. I can't imagine how it feels. I have lost friends but not to old age. Hugs to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost several of my close friends over the years, Debby, but I guess as we become elderly we realize that it is inevitable.

      Delete
  7. Yes, that is a painful side of life! My parents and inlaws are going through that same thing as well. They are in their 80's and losing friends left and right, it seems. I'm sure it makes them think of their own mortality too. That's a great quote on the bottom of that gravy boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom can remember her own mother saying that she had outlived all of her friends. I guess that happens when you are a long lived family.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a quote on a piece of china before...how amazing! I hope you have a nice weekend my friend! Happy Mother's day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a quote there either. Did she die during the night as expected?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I read every one of them.